[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - XD rear sight removal?

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:08 am

Board index » Other Firearms & Information » Other Pistols

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:56 pm 
Does anyone know any secret tricks to removing an XD rear sight? One of my students brought in an XD-40 sub compact and we couldn't get that sucker out! We tried everything and couldn't budge it. I have a 6 inch milling vise that I've made into a giant sight pusher by attached a large screw to the top and that wouldn't budge it.

Profile WWW  

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:16 am 
I finally got it out. I warmed it up, doused it with Kroil and let it sit for awhile then I put it back into the mill vise sight pusher and got it out. Even after I got it to move, it didn't just break loose. I had to use a lot of force until it was halfway out of the dovetail and then it finally moved easier.

Kimber sights are a piece of cake compared to this!

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:44 am 
If I were SA, I think that I would try to find something other than a tight sight to one up Kimber.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:00 pm 
I've done a few now and they are in there for sure. Someone told me they were installed with some sort of press. KACHUNK!!

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:10 am 

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:53 am 
This other thread seemed more relevant so I posted it there:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2110&p=21736#p21736

Part of the problem with the XD was the shape of the sides of the slide. The sides of the slide are angled and there is only a narrow section near the bottom where the sides are parallel. When I held it in a vise, the slide wanted to rotate when I put pressure on the side of the slide.

Profile WWW  

Jump to: