[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Magazines

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:05 am

Board index » 1911s » General 1911 Topics

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:10 am 
Just curious - interested in finding a true eight round magazine that comes with a steel bottom for slam pad. Anyone producing these, or am I going to be looking at WC, Tripp and the others? I have seen the CMC steel bottom magazines, though they appear to be like the OE eight rounders.. A clipped spring and squishy follower.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:45 am 
Just to clarify.. Am interested in the ability to stack these magazines on their sides, like a can of sardines. The Mec-Gar eight rounders I use for USPSA Single Stack are amazing. They just have flared bump pads, making them 'taper' when stacked on each other. Wanting to sandwich magazines together in a hip pouch to reduce overall size. At the range, my duty belt uses single magazine kydex pouches. For a more daily situation, wanting to reduce the surface area by consolidating the magazines into one or two "smaller" areas.

How does the promag archangel compare with the wilson 47; They look... almost identical?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:42 am 
Are you wanting to keep the length the same as a stock magazine, i.e. no slam pad, or is a little longer than stock acceptable? The base pads we used back in the 70s/80s were basically the same width as the mag. Some flared a little, but they can be narrowed easily. Or you can make your own.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:24 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:17 pm 
Overall tube length is a non-issue to me. I was simply interested in the slam pad to help provide protection when dumped and ease with stripping spent magazines. It is in junction to a weld-in magwell government sized project. Any protrusion from the magwell is a non-concern.

My OE Colt 8rd magazine has the compressing follower as well.

Do those CMC shooting star magazines actually perform properly when used with +P loadings?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:37 pm 
Sure, sounds as if it is only the thickness your are concerned with. CMC Power Mags have a selection of bases and are as narrow as the tube. Wilson and others as well.

LOG

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:48 pm 
Correct. I just want them to lay flat against each other, so I may make a smaller group of magazines when pulled from cordura hip pouch. Rounds facing away from hip, bump pads to the sky. That way I can squeeze a few more together with less 'reach' around my back. The MecGar and similar magazines with a 'flared' bump pad stack with a taper. While it helps with grip, it increases surface area. I was going to stitch up a simple, open bag. With a second layer of material in the rear to conceal magnets. Strong magnets and a velcro flap over the top should keep everything copacetic.

I had seen the Wilson 47 and similar ETM. I also have run in to a few guys using promag archangels at the range. They said those were good. Just wanted to touch base with some other gents and see what options there were.

I was thinking the steel bottoms with bump pads, because them slammers are pretty decent sized and those metal magazines ought to be sticky against neodymium magnets.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:35 pm 
I've been using stock 8 round Colt mags with added Wolff "extra power" springs. These have the Devel designed "Shooting Star" followers. I changed to Wolff springs at the first opportunity, the stock Colt springs were underwhelming.

Jump to: