1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Board index » 1911s » General 1911 Topics

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:23 am 
I have many boxes of original factory Detonics parts, when the company folded in Seattle in the 90's.

Need someone to help decipher what might go to what model. ..so being in Oregon /Washington is a plus.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:02 am 
Post up some pics and we'll try to help. Some of us own a few and might be interested in purchasing some spare parts.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:15 am 
What BBBBill said.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:56 pm 
Zahnrad, I'd love to hear more about the mods you did to the carry piece you described in the holster thread. It sounded like you emulated some Detonics features.
Joe

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:51 am 
Way too much to post. When Detonics folded in the early 90's, pistolsmith Rick Neimer got a lot of loose parts. He passed away a few years ago, and I have the parts to liquidate. 8-10 med/large boxes...

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:16 pm 
Jolly Rogers wrote:
Zahnrad, I'd love to hear more about the mods you did to the carry piece you described in the holster thread. It sounded like you emulated some Detonics features.
Joe

Joe,

Yes. I have a soft spot for the old Detonics. Back when we had the shop, we spent a great deal of time and effort along with a little bit of money evaluating the possibility of marketing/selling a new version of the concept. We went as far as to build several for development and destructive testing, and even gave it a name and registered it as copyright. Did not get as far as selling any before I left the business.

I still have a heavy fondness for some of those same features and incorporate them from time to time in my own tinkerings. One thing that has never really changed about my views is that when one is discussing what has come to be called "EDC" I am of the mind that I want the largest practical projo in the smallest practical package. So, the old Detonics were the natural starting point. One needs to put this in the context of the times, too. We were building a lot of race guns back then, so cutting up frames and slides was not abnormal nor anathema to us, so I really appreciated some of the things that they did back then that went on to be known as signatures of their offerings.

Later, I would start to lean more toward the commander slides on the smaller frames. This accomplished a few things beneficial, and certainly made life a little simpler.

I actually just finished up a smaller frame and am getting ready to have it anodized. I have not posted anything about it for a few reasons. One, it has been made clear that scratch builds are not the focus of the forum and I very much respect that. Two, I am not in the business and have not been for a very long time, now. I am a long way from having anything new or different to offer with regard to the depth of knowledge here. It really is a wealth of knowledge in one repository and I am one of the poorer readers, to be sure. Three, I am absolutely horrible about taking pictures of my toys as they are in-process. Usually, an acquaintance or friend has to interject, "Hey, you should take a pic of that." for me to stop and remember. That said, I can e* you a pic or two privately if you desire. Have to go search my files to see what I have that is relevant.

EDIT - Steve, I would love to know what you have available. Feel free to PM or email me through the forum's available functions. Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:54 pm 
I would love to see any photos you could find Zahnrad! jrogers841 at cox.net (just to sidetrack any harvest bots) Just put the symbol in and leave out any spaces...:-)
And don't sell yourself short on information you can share. Just the machining experience you have is valuable let alone any working 1911 gems of knowledge.
Thanks,
Joe

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:54 pm 
Jolly Rogers wrote:
Joe

Jolly Rogers wrote:
I would love to see any photos you could find Zahnrad! jrogers841 at cox.net (just to sidetrack any harvest bots) Just put the symbol in and leave out any spaces...:-)
And don't sell yourself short on information you can share. Just the machining experience you have is valuable let alone any working 1911 gems of knowledge.
Thanks,
Joe

Yep!

Zahnrad Kopf wrote:
Steve, I would love to know what you have available. Feel free to PM or email me through the forum's available functions. Thank you.

^^^ This.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:33 pm 
I picked up the parts last Sunday. There are many boxes and hundreds if not thousands of parts. Still going thru them, got a lot ID'd, as alot were in marked bags.

If anyone needs anything, I might be able to help.

Slides, barrels, recoil systems, small parts galore!

Jump to: