1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:52 pm

Board index » 1911s » General 1911 Topics

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:21 am 
Here is one more:Image
I had to re eyelet the assembly because I got a better setter to roll the eyelets properly and I spent some time burnishing the leather edge.
Joe

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:29 am 
Joe, that's awesome. Thank you for weighing in on this and sharing your experience. I appreciate it. So you are carrying that as an appendix carry? Interesting. I do put the effort into exercising enough and am lucky enough ( there is more luck than effort in play, I am betting ) to avoid the Dunlop's Disease, but it's no flat washboard.

I am curious about exploring appendix carry because frankly I have been carrying kidney/SOB since I bought the Summer Special. ( 25+ years ) I don't want to avoid the possibility of something better simply for being closed minded. At the same time, I am perfectly happy with what I have now. I simply think that it behooves me to examine my options due to things like Kydex existing now, as well as the cumulative knowledge about such things at this point in time.

Frankly, I think appendix carry has some good points to it, but I am wary of the accessibility while driving in a vehicle that way. As things exist now, I'm very accustomed and able with this rig, having had so much time and practice with it. Plus, I'm as oft on a bike as in a vehicle.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:58 am 
Pretty cool, Joe! I can see me trying that.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:30 am 
One thing about Kydex is that with proper pressing prep you can wear a new holster in a few hours of relaxed tinkering. The Chicago screws and other hardware are reuseable in most cases and the Kydex can even be re molded if it isn't overheated. The extra investment in press materials is less than the cost of a leather holster from one of the custom stitchers. Most holster producers buy dedicated mold guns to match the desired weapon but I found that a few adaptations to the actual piece can provide a plug to shape the Kydex. I would only caution one to not overheat a polymer frame while trying to form $10 worth of Kydex...
Joe

Here is a link to a blog my oldest son writes about his experience with Appendix carry. (I'm not proud...yeah right...)
http://protect-defend.com/blog/appendix-carry-outbrief/

Last edited by Jolly Rogers on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:30 pm 
I carry a light bearing government 1911 everyday in a raven concealment. Works great for me.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:15 am 
This is why the Hybrid Apendix holster is necessary in my situation. :o :oops: And holstered photo to show the finished product... :mrgreen:
Joe

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:31 am 
Very nice!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:00 am 
Jolly Rogers wrote:
This is why the Hybrid Apendix holster is necessary in my situation. :o :oops:
Joe

Hey! I'm growing one of those since I retired. Lolz!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:07 pm 
I've made a few Hydex/leather holster over the years. One thing I do to all my leather holsters is add a moisture barrier, and seal the edges. This is done my using contact cement to attache pig skin to the side against you. With the contact cement/pig skin it really seals off any water from getting to the leather and gun. Living in TX heat and humidity can be a major problem. With the moisture barrier I've been completely saturated from sweat but the holster and gun stays dry. Never had to dry out an holster since I started doing this. Another thing I use to do was add the pig skin to the hydex to make it quite and protect the gun. Sadly since mfg went to low VOC it no longer bonds well to the Hydex. I use screw binding post so I could take things apart if needed.

I had carry at the 3:00-3:30 location due to a medical implant device over my kidney.

Like the compactness of your holster.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:03 am 
David, can you expand any on the pigskin layer for moisture barrier purposes? Thickness of the layers, source for the pigskin...anything.
My son , the blogger, is also building holsters and I would love to have some information to share with him. We haven't gotten into much leather work yet. The leather I used on the little AIWB was from a remnant bag I bought from a craft store and the sizes of the pieces limited the size of the work. Hence the compact size...
Joe

Jump to: