1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 pm

Board index » 1911s » General 1911 Topics

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:38 am 
I recently started wondering about what's available for holstering these days. To give you some idea, I have been wearing a Milt Sparks Summer Special every day, for longer than I care to say. Frankly, it might make a decent ad, actually. Suffice to say, it has been longer than 25 years. I have never had a need to buy anything else. I actually love the Milt Sparks.

It has been through every weather, decades of sweat, and numerous motorcycle wrecks. And it is still in wonderful shape. But, the reality is that it is still thicker than many options available since it was bought and I am wondering if any of those options might also give me a better result as well.

So knowing that someone has worn a 1911 in a Summer Special ( and extra mag holder ) for, umm... many, many moons, what might you recommend to examine in today's offerings? I am open to considering moving it from a SOB/kidney draw to an appendix/liver draw, but do like that I can get in and out of a vehicle or ride a motorcycle without needing to touch anything. What do/have you use/used? What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? What would you do differently again?

Thanks.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:31 pm 
Kydex is thinner than leather and quicker to draw from. I do have a Bladetech IWB, but it's not as comfortable as leather. As for Appendix I'm not brave enough to find out.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:49 pm 
40 + years of daily wear.. ( as in never being with out it) ..... Model 60 S&W in an ankle holster..
1911 is too big to conceal in the summer and most of the winter, on a small framed person..
If I were determined to carry a full size fighting pistol, it wouldn't be a 1911.. just sayin..:):)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:21 pm 
Jerry Keefer wrote:
40 + years of daily wear.. ( as in never being with out it) ..... Model 60 S&W in an ankle holster..
1911 is too big to conceal in the summer and most of the winter, on a small framed person..
If I were determined to carry a full size fighting pistol, it wouldn't be a 1911.. just sayin..:):)

I hear you, Jerry. Suffice to say that it is just the way I came up in this world. For clarity's sake though, since my original Bren10 and then Delta Elite, I have not carried a full size pistol there, since back then. (had one of the original Bren10's ) Biggest is an Officer's model. Typical is one of my own that is best described as more similar to a cut up Offi, more resembling an old Dets. CM**. I like them small as can be, but assuredly big bore. ;) They can be a chore to make correctly and in the early years it took some work to get them to run 100% of the time, but I found things that worked for me and have stuck with them since.

** - One of the ones I'm building right now is typical of my usual likes - Offi size frame cut down to DetCM size, bearing a Cmdr top end, and still cut up like a DetCM slide. It's been the best of all worlds, for me. I am very keen on them like that. And I do very much understand that it's each their own and many would dislike it. :)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:57 am 
I'm in the process of reevaluating my holster/carry method so I will be following this thread. My issue is cumulative wear and tear from combat and arthritis. I'm VA rated 100% disabled now. As far as carry that mostly means that I cannot run away from or use some other method to de-escalate any serious situation. Most of my current holsters are leather with the FBI rake. My wrist doesn't like that anymore. Considering something straight drop, but I'm concerned with loss of some concealability (butt more subject to print). Jerry, inquiring minds want to know. What is your choice for a full sized fighting pistol? 226????

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:54 pm 
BBBBill
I don't remember the year, but it has been a while.. The Texas Dept. of Public Safety, was the first major agency to transition to the 357 Sig. We were having numerous failures to stop with the 9mm and suffered thru a shooting similar to the LAPD . We formed a committee to study weapons/cartridges.. Short story, the .357 Sig was selected after months of bitter bickering. We were the second major agency to adopt the new pistol. I was on the fore front to acquire the .357 and collaborated with the CEO at TDPS who had over 3000 guns.. We acquired approx. 1000 guns in 2340 Model, and later switched out to the 2022.. Those guns proved to be almost indestructible. Very little maintenance and super reliable.. I watched, as head range master, millions of rounds shot thru those guns over the years.. I was also privileged to review autopsy photos and reports.. We never again suffered a failure to stop..The majority of center mass hits were fatal, and extremity hits still, ended the fights. Super effective fighting pistol...devastating cartridge.. I was rewarded a brand new one when I retired.. I still haven't shot it.. My confidence in that system is extremely high..

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:22 pm 
I've handled and shot the SIG polymer pistols. Not impressed with the trigger. Guess I could get used to it.... Now about those holsters! Anyone got experience with a hybrid kydex/leather holster?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:29 pm 
Or even just straight up kydex. I want to evaluate my options and see if there is something better than my Uncle Milty SS.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:30 pm 
I carry a 1911 ( full and Commander as desired) in a CrossBreed Hybrid rig. I like it quite a bit. Very stable and comfortable. Also excellent retention. I also built a small Hybrid Appendix carry holster for my Sig p238. There is a learning curve for Kydex forming but it is very forgiving if you don't over heat it. I'll see if I saved any pics of the holster as I put it together but I'll need to save them to Photobucket first before I can add them to the thread.
The Appendix carry holsters usually aren't Hybrid but I wanted to try it to get the benefit of the leather barrier to the sharp parts of the sig. Trying to lose weight but there is still enough dunlap to be uncomfortable without the layer to cushion the fat.
Joe

If you have any specific questions about the photos just ask. If I can answer with any helpful information I'll be glad to.

Last edited by Jolly Rogers on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:18 am 
Here are some process views:Image
Lets see if this works.
Joe

Jump to: