1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:21 am

Board index » 1911s » General 1911 Topics

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:13 pm 
Does anyone have any experience with these? I know they are great precision machines, but I'm just looking for input from those who have been there/done that. I might use it to chamber a rifle barrel now and then, but I am not worried that I won't be able to turn a long barrel between centers. I will mostly be doing 1911 work and am sitting here wondering what I might be missing. Any important stuff that these can't do? Thanks for the help,

Dave

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:53 am 
The 10EE is a superb machine, very satisfying to run, with excellent performance by any measure.
They are less than ideal for rifle barrel chambering, as the distance between centers is relatively short and the headstock is really long. Inner diameter of the spindle at 1 3/8" is a bit cramped for chambering rifle barrels.
Depending on vintage, the drive can be problematic, there are a 2 particular tubes required that are no longer made and cost $300-$800 when you can find them. Imperial/Metric threading versions are available but not common. Parts are available, but "not cheap".

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:41 pm 
Thanks for the insight on this.

A friend also mentioned keeping my eye out for a Hardinge HLV super precsion type lathe with 16C collets. I have never seen one, be he says they exist. I imagine even with a big collet system you will still have issues with barrels as they are not very long. I would like to be able to do some work on rifles.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:42 pm 
A hardinge is a pretty expensive lathe. I wish I had that kind of buget.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:39 pm 
The Hardinge is also an excellent machine and one of the few peers to the 10EE. Good condition HLV and HLV-H can be hard to find and are rarely cheap. I've heard about the 16C unicorn but never seen one in over a decade of watching the new and used market. Distance between centers is even shorter than the 10EE and the spindle Inner Diameter is small for rifle work.

If you want to chamber and/or profile rifle barrels, save yourself a lot of trouble and look for something with a shorter headstock and larger spindle ID, and more distance between centers like the Grizzly Jerry Keefer has or an original Southbend.

Jump to: