[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - I need some machining done

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:40 am

Board index » 1911s » General 1911 Topics

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:41 pm 
I was wondering if anyone here does work on someone else's 1911, or do you just work your own custom jobs?
I need a SA slide worked on. I could send it to Novak to have them dovetail it, but then I was thinking of having the slide flats milled to remove the stampings, which I'll assume is going to mean I need new rear serrations. Or maybe I can cut those back in with a file...

Anyway, rather than Google 1911 machinists, I thought I'd ask here first.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:03 pm 
I'll take the lack of "I take on outside work" to mean the professional smiths here just work on your own projects, or start to finish builds.
Shipped off to Novak this morning.

Of course, they didn't sound none too happy to machine the dovetails either.
"Do you want us to install the sights?"
No, I'll do the final fitting.
"Are they our sights?"
No... I wish they were Novak sights, but you folks don't make tall sights for suppressed 1911's.
"Well we can't guaranty they'll fit."
Well, the sights are for a Novak cut slide. If you do your part they should be close enough for me to fit.
"OK, but we can't guaranty our work."

Geez, lol.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:56 pm 
Problem is, there is a Novak cut and Novak sights- most of the aftermarket sights for this cut are NOT the same dimensions as genuine Novak sights.
There are fairly significant differences in dovetail width and depth.
You really need to have the sights "on hand" and measure them to properly machine a slide to fit them.

How are you going to fit your "other brand" sights if they measure smaller than the nominal Novak dovetails?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:41 pm 

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:28 pm 
Just to update, as I'm finally getting some response on doing the machining, the work has been done.
Heinie's sights (with the Novak cut) and Novak's machining worked perfectly. Just need to blue it when I get around to it.

Jump to: