[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - 2015 S70 Colt Gold Cup National Match... a review in pics

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:52 am

Board index » 1911s » General 1911 Topics

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:17 pm 
I’ve been hankerin for a full size 1911 that could be accurized (with a very light trigger) for range only use and was intrigued when I learned that Colt had a “retro” S70 National Match in their 2015 line up, model # 05870A1.

I started writing up a review and then remembered that you guys don't need my explanations so here's my summary .... I'm very happy with what Colt has made.

Here's the outside

Last edited by SSN Vet on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:45 pm 
some component pics....

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:18 pm 
MSH is metal... not plastic...

comes with one 8rd (CM style follower) and one 7rd (standard follower) Springs are not High Tensile Chrome Silicon Wolf Springs

Bowtie cut is very shallow... almost nonexistent.

Out of the box, the best of 10 pulls was 3 lb. 14 oz. .... average was 4 lb 2 oz.

My one complaint..... the back side of the slide stop was VERY roughly machined. Here you see it after I lightly filed it.

I also touched up the burr on both sides of the hammer

Last edited by SSN Vet on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:41 pm 
Lock up is good and tight. Bushing is tight, but I can still get it off without a wrench.

Slide fit is a little loose, as is typical of factory Colts.... but a tad tighter than my S80 Commander.

First trip to the range cycled 100 rounds of my hand loaded 230 gr ball without a hiccup with both 7 & 8 rd mags.

I've only shot competitively a couple times, so I'm not claiming to be any kind of ace... but I think I'm a relatively decent shot...

At 20 yards I was putting full mag in the 8" dia. black with 5-6 rounds in the 9 & 10 ring. Almost too easy!

At 30 yds I still managed to put full mags in the black on my last two targets.

For me, this is good shooting and I'm quite happy.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:43 pm 
Sorry the pics are so small.... if you click on them the Flickr blow up is decent.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:04 am 
Hi SSN, could you take a picture of the sear in side view? I want to see the MIM marks and the thickness of the legs.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:38 am 
Will do... but it will be a little while b4 I detail strip it again.

It is a MIM Sear and the profile is more slender than the S80 stock sear I have.

To be continued.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:22 pm 
Here are two more shots of the sear....

Double click to see full size Flickr photos

I mounted the sear in an Ed Brown jig, inked the contact area and gave it a couple swipes with an hard Arkansas stone and carefully gave it a very slight relief. Then I dressed it up with a ceramic polishing stone and put it all back together.

Function checks all sat, as are the click tests...

pull dropped down into the mid 2s (without tweaking the sear spring)

I'm a happy camper

Jump to: