[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4601: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4604: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3764)
1911Pro.com • View topic - Looked at a Combat Commander today,

1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:36 am

Board index » 1911s » General 1911 Topics

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:46 am 
but didn't buy it. By the serial number it was from '74. I've wanted one for a long time. I have no pictures but some questions for anyone that cares to share.
The barrel didn't seem original to me, not sure exactly what to look for (meaning I don't have it memorized) but there were no marks other than .45 Auto on it. It had been polished, along with the feed ramp on the frame at the school here in Colorado some time ago. Guy had it since 2006 and hadn't fired it. Anyway, the finish looked pretty good to me and other than the barrel, it seemed like the parts were original. The slide, had a cutout on the bottom, exposing the extractor, really not sure what that is about. Does anyone here have some input on that? From the little bit I have seen here and on the forum, his asking price of $1000 was a bit high, although there were lots of accessories included. The slide cuts made me think it wasn't worth it though.
Also, before I resort to google, I wanted to ask if anyone knows about something called a camp gun? A rifle that shoots .45 rounds, uses the same mags as a 1911 (as well as some 15 rounders) also from the seventies. Please enlighten me.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:53 am 
Commanders (aluminum frame) from that vintage had lightening cuts in the slide that exposed the underside of the extractor. If you look close you will find that the area between the locking lugs and bushing is also relieved. The Combat Commanders (steel frame) were not weight relieved. However, Colt was not very consistent with that. I have a Combat Commander that came from the factory with a lightened slide.

The Marlin Camp Carbine was made in 9mm, and 45ACP. The 9mm used S&W 59 series mags and the 45 used 1911 mags. It came out in the mid 80s and was discontinued in the late 90s. A bit heavy, but decent little rifles with a tendency to break the stock at the wrist, especially on the 45 versions, due to weak recoil springs and brittle buffers. The buffers and springs are available from the aftermarket. A good buffer is absolutely necessary to minimize the risk of a cracked stock.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:38 am 
There was a bullpup conversion for the Camp Carbines as well. If memory serves me, it was made by Choate. The Camp Carbines were kind of cool.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:31 pm 

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:35 pm 
Yep! I still have a Camp Carbine in 9mm. Fun little guns, but it is decidedly nose heavy. No problem for me, but small statured folk tire easily when trying to hold it up. I do like the magazine commonality. I've got a metric ton of S&W mags for some of those "other" guns in my collection.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:21 pm 
I had replied earlier, don't know where it went. Anyway, thank you for the helpful info and stories. Always appreciated.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:51 pm 
My 1971 Combat Commander (all steel) has those lightening cuts on the slide. As does my 1958 GCNM.
Like Bill said, Colt was a little inconsistent. They stopped with the lightening cuts on the GCNM's when they started the "Series 70" models. It still carried over to the Commanders though.
Depending on condition, $1000 is right in the ballpark for what they are selling for.

I used to have a mid-eighties CC and it didn't want to feed anything but hardball. And my '71 that I have now is a bit finicky. That would account for the feed ramp being polished and I'll bet the chamber has been throated, too. At least that's what I had done to my mid-eighties CC when I got it back in... the mid-eighties....

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:41 pm 
Maybe it was a decent deal. The barrel was the only thing I noticed that seemed to have been replaced. Had the silver logo walnut (I guess) grips, no diamonds, a couple regular mags, a couple fifteen round mags (not sure I would even use those), nice soft-side case, two hundred rounds of ammo and a small holster. I had offered eight hundred without some of the accessories but he wouldn't budge. To be fair he had told me the price was firm before I went down there.
I'll keep looking and do a little more homework.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:24 pm 
Hello,

After collecting Colts for over thirty years; I've seen a few factory inconsistencies (to be kind). In theory; early 9mm and .38 Super Commanders, both steel and aluminum frames, were to have received slide lightening cuts to improve functioning. A .45 ACP slide with those cuts is a factory produced anomaly (if original). Colt's earlier Gold Cups being designed for "only" midrange loads and also came with slide lightening cuts (as well as reduced power recoil springs) and should not be used with hardball. As a kid; I banged away with full power loads in a pristine Gold Cup until I cracked the slide....it did not take very long and I have cried ever since.

Jim

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:56 pm 
The early Gold cups also used a special recoil spring plug with a beveled nose that locked into a bushing cut to accept it.

Jump to: