1911Pro.com

The 1911 Forum For Professional & DIY Gunsmithing
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Board index » 1911s » General 1911 Topics

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:25 pm 
These "old leather" speed holsters.. look pretty darn snazzy. I seem to find very little useful pictures. I know of a few leather makers. Could someone post a few inside holster pictures if possible?

I would like one of these.

I understand 18ga sheet metal was used inside the holster and 16ga for the belt liner. It allowed the pieces to retain shape. Also, there was a plastic/rubber barrel plug inserted in holster narrow end for better support and retention.

Anything other help would be appreciated. User experiences, pictures, foresight and possibly things you would have changed or modified twenty years ago when originally buying these.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 pm 
Maybe google images of old bowling pin and ipsc shoots.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:56 am 
I had limited hits on google for the key phrases. I do have pictures in a book which memorizes all of that trend. I think with what I have seen.. I may be able to get a general idea. Was interested to know if anyone here had used one themself or had pretty good insight about them. General shapes, things pictures may miss. It seems pretty simple. A more traditional holster but skeletonized. The sheet metal acts as spring steel in the leather when held under tension by fasteners.

I had the idea it could be classy for a cowboy shooting. A fitting holster for a classy type pistol.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:45 pm 
Remember that Ernie Hill started out as a Fast Draw competitor. So he took some of his design concepts from that market to create holsters for IPSC competitors.

I think that I still have my Fas-Trac for the Glock 20/21. Let me see if I can dig it out.

Last edited by Daniel Watters on Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:46 pm 
Here is Ernie's patent for the Fas-Trac

https://www.google.com/patents/US5167355

Profile WWW  

Jump to: